VOLUNTEERS OR GUESTS
In lower Puna two friends who I have known since before I started Hedonisia Hawaii in 2004 are converting their beautiful property into an agricultural forest farm eco-community. They offer a rustic lodgings in Hawaii for Guests and Volunteers.
Kamaili Forest Farm offers Guest and Volunteer programs for those who wish to do Heart, Body or Mind work to enjoy a discounted stay. It is ideal for the creative person or couple who wants to enjoy affordable solitude in Hawaii.
Long term volunteers or guests will have ample time to get a job in town. Or you can enjoy your free time being an ‘eco-tourist’ in one of the most beautiful islands, Hawaii.
- Living Situation: The Host Farmer, Joanna, and Mojo, the Community Director, will be coming by to work, provide assistance, and coordinate volunteer activities. For the most part, however, you will have the place to yourselves. Though your lodgings are rustic, there is a flush toilet in the main building, which is undergoing renovations. There is also a composting toilet within 30 feet of Rainbow Hut.
- Security: This property, like many in the Puna district, has experienced theft when someone is not staying overnight at the property. We advise all guests to secure their important items as there are no locks on the property. We are working on further security measures.
- Food: The main house will house a basic jungle kitchen, with water, sink, propane stove and basic food storage (cooler and rodent-proof food cage).
- Wifi: We have great AT&T reception in our area and plan to have a permanent hotspot available on the land.
- Water. There is a 50-gallon water tank for flushing the toilet. Potable water must be brought in. Camp shower option. Weekly and Monthly guests should have a car to bring in water. There is a free drinking water stand 5 few miles away.
- Electricity. A small solar power allows for lighting and charging devices in the main house.
Rainbow Cabin: A cute rustic eco-hut with large insect screens to allow in light. Double mattress is suitable for couples or singles.
Hexagon Hut: Yes it's true, this hut is a real hexagon. Wood interior. Though it's small and cozy, its perfect for a single person.
The Jungle Tree House is a rambling big house with high ceilings and great views of the jungle. has a certain eccentric charm. It is in need of many repairs but has a working toilet and is a great hanging out space and kitchen area.
Kamaili Forest Farm Guest Options:
a) Guest Stay
Hexagon Hut - Single adult or couple:
- $350 a month
- $175 a week
- $30 per night
Rainbow Hut - Single adult or couple:
- $400 a month
- $200 a week
- $35 per night
Kukui Room - Single adult or couple:
- $350 a month
- $175 a week
- $30 per night
Guests who are staying a week or longer are required to do a Community Support Shift of 3 hours per week.
As a Guest you can work at your own pace. Resident Guests are only required to do work as necessary for the maintenance of the Premises. We are looking for Guests who would like to improve and beautify their jungle home.
b) Volunteer Program
The volunteer work requirement is 9 hours a week per person on heart, body or brain work. The tryout week is to ensure that we are a good fit working on the farm. All additional weeks are discounted.
- 1st Week Tryout fee = $90
- Each Additional Week = $45
All prices INCLUDE Hawaii State Taxes.
Volunteer in Hawaii
You can be a volunteer tourist in Hawaii. A great way to reduce the cost of your stay is to enjoy a ‘volunteer working vacation’.
We live in a tropical rain forest so there’s always land work for those who want a physical workout! For those who like cleaning, we have jobs for you.
Our ‘voluntourism’ options give you the choice to volunteer different hours a week depending on your budget and how much free time you want to enjoy Hawaii.
Types of Volunteer Work
- BODY Work – Physical jobs for volunteers.
- HEART Work – Creative jobs for volunteers.
- Optional: MIND Work – Hedonisia is one of the few communities in Hawaii where you can use your brains working on our Hedonisia Activist & EcoFeminist Web Portfolio.
Skilled Volunteers in Hawaii
These are some of the volunteer jobs we have a special need for:
- Eco-Builder, Carpenter,
- Creator of Tiny Homes
- Creative Mural Artist
Volunteer and Guest Online Application