Once you are approved in the telephone interview and we receive your Intern Training Fee, we will send you a confirmation email with a username and password for the Hedonisia Handbook.
The Handbook will give you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the policies and practices that make our community function smoothly. This ebook is included in the cost of your internship and is also the manual for your training.
Week 1. Volunteer Tryout Week
ll Intern applicants must complete a one-week initial Volunteer Tryout where you will try a variety of tasks in the weekday mornings. The first week, you work a grand total of 12 hours! This light work week also gives you an opportunity to see if Hedonisia is the place for you!
In the first week, intern trainees will cover the following areas during volunteer shifts:
- Day 1: Facilities Deep Cleaning
- Day 2: Land Work & Tools
- Day 3: Hedonisia Gardens. Flora & Fauna
- Day 4: Lodging Readiness
- Day 5: Shift Preparation
Week 2: Intern Community Manager ‘Shadow’ Training
i) ‘Shadow’ Training. You learn ‘hands on’ for 3 days during the week where you will ‘shadow’ a more senior Community Manager as they go about their normal day. During your Shadow Days there will be times when you are ‘on’ by yourself with the Manager in the background to be called upon if needed!
ii) Hedonisia Handbook. The Hedonisia Handbook is our training manual for all Interns. In the afternoon or ‘Focus’ period of your shift you get a second chance to read the Hedonisia Handbook.
iv) 1st Training Review Q&A, Discussion & Examination
At the end of your 3rd Shadow Shift you will have a Question & Answer Review with a Community Director. We ask you questions about the practical aspects of managing the community as well as the Hedonisia Handbook Community Manual. This is also your time to ask questions about any aspect of your internship and training! (Quick Tip. Curiosity shows you have read the material!)
Upon completion of this Q&A we let you know if you are qualified to be an Intern Community Member! If you pass Congratulations! Your ‘work week’ will automatically drop to 2 days!
Week 3. Second Shadow Week!
Final Interview: If you did not ‘pass’ you still have a second Shadow Week to learn the program, get yourself up to speed and to pass in the next interview by repeating the training of your first Shadow Week. However, you will now be much more familiar with our community, policies and Review Q & A.
At the completion of your third Shadow Week you will once again have a final interview with the Community Director. Upon passing this verbal exam we will offer you a promotion to Intern Community Manager.
If you did not pass on your second interview then it may still be possible to stay on as a Fair-Trade Volunteer or Weekly/Monthly Guest however, those are paid programs.
If you are still showing great promise and potential as an Intern but did not pass, we can, at our discretion, allow you to try one more Shadow Week to give yourself a third and final chance!
Intern Daily Schedule
If you have been accepted, as an Intern you will have a two-shift work week. Each shift is long at 14 hours and is broken up into morning, afternoon and evening. However, you have lots of downtime during the shift and 5 days off!
A typical Intern Manager day has three basic parts:
1) Morning BODY Work! Volunteer management and land-work (8:30 AM – 1:00 PM) We usually do Physical and Volunteer work in the community at this time as it is still cooler and nice to work.
- Morning Prep (8:30 AM – 9:30 AM)
- Volunteer Task Assignments (9:30 AM – 9:45 AM)
2) Afternoon Focus Work! Focus, Solitary & Special Jobs (1:00 PM – 6:00 PM) This is usually the quietest time on the property so it is a great time to work on the various Focus projects that each intern chooses as part of their portfolio.
- Afternoon Prep: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Afternoon FOCUS time: 3:00 pm-5:00 pm
3) Evening HEART Work! 6:00 pm- 10:30 pm This is when people are cooking, coming home, and otherwise ‘hanging out’! ‘ We call this the Heart time of the day because it is when the social skills matter as you are communicating in a relaxed environment.
- 10:00 PM- 10:30 PM Fill in Intern Report for day
- 10:30 PM: Closing down Kitchen and Good Night!