Practical Info for green jungle living in the Rainforest!
A rainforest is lush and green and beautiful but it has challenges! We hope that these Hawaii Jungle Tips will help make your vacation in the Hawaiian rainforest an amazingly enjoyable experience.
There are many advantages to living in the rainforest, including the abundance of tropical plants, flowers, fruit, etc. However, the reality of living in a rain forest also includes noisy frogs, mosquitos, an extremely humid climate that's conducive to mold, and lots and lots of rain!
We provide a level of comfort in our lodgings here that is comfortable quirky and eco-friendly but it is not up to the 'standards' of a city hotel. You are entering a rainforest area so make friends with the rain. You will get a little wet!
What you need to enjoy your stay in the rainforest.
- Mosquito Repellant! Hawaii mosquitos are pretty mellow compared to places like rural Wisconsin and Alaska. There are not so many from November to February but they are there! So bring a natural mosquito repellant.
- Smartphone Flashlight: A smartphone with a flashlight provides more than enough light for you to get around. Plus it is much more eco-friendly!
- Lights Jackets for Jungle Winter! Though we live in a rainforest jungle it can sometimes get a little chilly in the night during from November to March. So bring at least a couple of warm outfits. Also socks both for warmth and for mosquito protection and a lightweight tropical waterproof rain-jacket.
- Eco-Shampoo & Toiletries. We supply Eco-Friendly Detergent as part of our $5 Laundry Service. However, please bring biodegradable soap, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste as this grey water feeds our decorative plants.
- Fresh New Pillows! We provide bedding. However, due to our rainforest climate, pillows tend to absorb moisture and get damp rather quickly. Unlike sheets and blankets, pillows can't be washed, they eventually start smelling musty and must be thrown out. So, while we provide pillows, if you want to be absolutely sure you have a fresh smelling pillow, please bring or buy your own pillow!
- Rainforest Mold and Damp: If we lived in the desert our challenge would be dust and heat! However, we live in the Rainforest so our challenge is damp and mold! If you have a sensitivity or allergy to damp or mold then bring the medicines you will need to deal with mold.
- Jungle Fantasy versus Reality! One of the most important things you can bring is an open and learning attitude to living in the jungle! Visitors often have a fantasy of what it means to live in the jungle. However city folk will notice that there are mosquitos and ants! And in a rainforest, there is rain, lots of it. The air is damp and there is jungle mold that grows naturally. However, our community is green and lush, fruit trees are abundant, the air is soft, the weather perfectly mild! Your skin will feel moist and wonderful!
- Work Shoes & Clothes. Tough water-resistant shoes, crocs or boots for working would be a perfect purchase! Also, bring working clothes that you are comfortable to get dirty with!
- Computer/Laptop. If you are working on any of our Mind Work projects we recommend you bring a laptop with you as we only have limited laptops for community use!
For Intern Managers, Weekly/Monthly Guests, & Fair-Trade Volunteers.
Use this form if you have read about our programs or our 'Taste of Hedonisia' specials and are ready to apply! Please allow 10-20 minutes to complete this online application.
If you have a question you can call us during Hawaii business hours: 808-430-9903