How to create a business based on your values!
An activist entrepreneur works within the system on feminist, environmental and other socially progressive causes, both locally and internationally.
As an Activist Entrepreneur you can:
- Create a business embodying Community, Activist, Feminist, Environmental &/or EcoSex principles!
- Address challenges on the planet and create meaningful jobs!
- Live Actively and Pleasurably with Conscious Capitalism!
Traditionally young people and many progressives such as environmentalists or feminists, argue that capitalism is exploitative.
And all too often it is. Donald Trump embodies every stereotype of negative capitalism. From corruption, nepotism, bribery, slumlord, shady real estate deals, his list goes on.
Young people have started political revolutions, often accompanied by a great deal of bloodshed, in order to start fresh without the stain of capitalism. The Communist revolutions of China and Russia were against capitalism. The Islamic revolution in Iran wanted to replace decadent capitalism with theocracy. All had millions of idealistic youth doing a lot of killing and dying to create a ‘perfect society’.
However, trade is the oldest of human enterprises and has great potential for good as well as corporate evil. In the Age of the Internet with its limitless potential, the youth of today have an opportunity to change capitalism from within!
In a time of high youth unemployment, few opportunities, and student debt, young people would serve themselves and the world better by making money in ethical activist businesses aligned with their values. Then they can play the same role as the oil companies do now, except they will be lobbying for good causes!
Progressive Political Capitalism!
The marijuana movement used capitalism to change the system from within! It took decades but now America, a conservative ‘War Against Drugs’ nation, has legal marijuana!
An Activist Entrepreneur has politics ingrained in the DNA of its company operations and Mission Statement. Businesses are meant to be around for a long time. It often takes forever to change laws in a democratic system.
This is why corporations and democracy work so well together for good and bad causes. However, at present in America, it is the Koch brothers, oil companies, chemical companies, and Big Pharma who lobby the most. They are can afford it as ‘the cost of doing business’!
However, many feminist, sex-positive and environmental movements still operate mostly in the realm of non-profits. Non-profits will never have the lobbying power of Big Pharma or Big Oil! The key is to create ‘good corporations’. Green corporations. Feminist corporations. Ethical Sex Positive corporations. Fundraising and lobbying events will be totally different!
As marijuana developed into a viable and established industry, those in the business created a ‘ganja lobby!’ There is already a Solar and Wind lobby because they are making money! Young techies, the founders of Google, Apple, Paypal, Facebook, Microsoft have done some bad things but also supported very good causes.
Activist Entrepreneur Principles
An Activist Entrepreneur embodies principles of community, activism, feminism, and/or environmentalism as part of their business plan to create a product or service that, in a concrete way, improves society or the world we live in.
Here is how we apply the Activist Entrepreneur model at Hedonisia Hawaii:
- Community: Hedonisia Hawaii is a community-based business that does not have employees. Our social entrepreneur business model attracts like-minded people creating a free-floating community of volunteers and interns who come to Hawaii and contribute to our eco-tourism and ecofeminist projects and that we manage in our ‘community of individuals’!
- Activist: An activist entrepreneur works to change the law as part of their business activities. They can do so through lobbying or other forms of political engagement. However, they can also be political by creating products or services that challenge unjust laws. As Hedonisia, we are active in working through the local political system to create a legal foundation for sustainable communities in Hawaii and a precedent for others to do the same elsewhere. One of the creative projects we manage is Activist Entrepreneur: Using business as a tool for social change.
- Feminist: It is a truism that women are often more unfairly treated than men in the vast majority of companies. So an Activist Entrepreneur feminist principles as a core part of their operations. At the Hedonisia Community, we implemented policies and practices incorporating social justice, equality for women through our community business operations as described in our Eco-Feminist Community page.
- Environmental: An Activist Enterprise should try to reduce, reuse and recycle at every level it of its business practices. Not only is it good for the planet but it is also good for the bottom line! Our community derived most of it income through eco-tourism and we adopt environmental principles at every stage of our business operations.
- EcoSexual: So many societal problems stem from some aspect of sexual dysfunction. We take an EcoFeminist approach to sexuality with our emphasis on gender equality and by being a Consent Culture community.
Hedonisia Activist Entrepreneur eBook Access
Sign up as a Hedonisia Virtual Community Member and receive access to The Activist Entrepreneur. This is a video eCourse on how to create a business which is working through the political system to promote a socially progressive, feminist or environmental cause.