A community does not have to be on land like Hedonisia Hawaii. A micro-community can be as small as 2 people living together in an apartment in the city!
As with many of the of the great cities in the world, it is very expensive to buy housing or land in Portland.
So, our Portland micro-community model is based on rental housing.
If you plan to visit or live in Portland you can volunteer for reduced rent as a ‘micro-community roommate’ or enjoy a private one bedroom rental at very affordable rates.
- Across the street from Mt Tabor Park which has lovely hiking trails.
- Apartment complex is walking distance to a number of restaurants
- One direct bus to downtown! We rent one of the two bedrooms.
- You have access to a beautiful apartment swimming pool. Refreshing in the summer!
- We provide dishes and furnishings.
- There is no TV. However, you are free to bring your own!
- Sorry no pets. It is against the Apartment Rules!
- Living room is spacious with a beautiful exposed brick wall! Perfect for yoga!
Portland Apartment Rental Options
We offer 3 rental/volunteer possibilities:
1. Private Roommate:
This is a private room furnished with a queen mattress bed! It does face Division St so there is some muted traffic noise.
The room has a large closet, a desk and chair. f course you have access to the rest of the apartment.
- $50 Flat Rate INCLUDES WIFI & Utilities.
- $650 for first-month rent,
- Damage Deposit – $650.
2. Pop-Up Tent Roommate!
We installed a pop-up tent single bed in there which we are renting for $450 for the month. Price includes utilities and WIFI.
This rental is ideal for a long term tourist, or someone who only needs a place in Portand for a few nights a week.
- $450 per month if you want to stay there every night.
- $400 a month for 3 nights a week
- $350 a month for up to 4 nights a week!
3. One-bedroom Apartment Rental!
This rental is only for specific periods when I am traveling and if the current roommate leaves.
Private Short-Term Single or Couples’ Rate available from Dec 6, 2019. This is ideal for those who do not want a long-term lease or don’t have much furniture.
My travel schedule: From December 6, 2019 to March 6, 2020 I’m in Hawaii
I lock my bedroom and so the apartment becomes a spacious 1-bedroom!
- Refundable Damage Deposit – $1015
- 1st Month Rent = $1015
- $100 Flat Rate for Utilities: Electricity, Water, Basic Cable, Wifi.
Overlap periods: Depending on your timetable there may be some overlap where we would have to share the space.
All Applicants are required to provide the following:
However, this is still a ‘normal’ rental in a traditional apartment complex. So regular Apartment Rental Screening Criteria still apply!
- Telephone Interview & visit
- $55 Background check fee per person
- Complete Application with 5-year Rental & Employment History
Portland Micro-Community: Volunteer for Rent Reduction!
Roommates can enjoy a discount rent in exchange for volunteer support of work on the websites in our EcoFeminist Web Portfolio.
At Hedonisia Hawaii, those who were attracted to our community projects often shared many of our ideals. They were wonderful to live with!
It is the same with our Portland apartment! When we live with like-minded roommates, we are in a sense, creating an apartment based ‘micro-community’! As such we tend to attract applicants who wish to volunteer on the ecofeminist web projects we are working on.
Even if they don’t end up working on our websites, we can have stuff to chat about! This is much nicer than living with a complete stranger!
Applicants with writing, research or tech skills who are interested in volunteer work on any of our web projects can do so in exchange for a reduction in rent!
If you work on any of our web projects, we lower the rent by $20 per hour up to a maximum of $100 rent reduction per month! However, if you are especially skilled, we can offer more hours for a greater reduction in rent!
If you choose to be apply for the Volunteer Rent Reduction program, there is an additional Micro-Community Rental Agreement.
The volunteer program is optional. If you are too busy you can also simply pay the rent!
Here are some of the projects you can choose to work on in Portland:
- Hedonisia Eco-Feminist Web Portfolio: These activist and feminist entrepreneur sites managed by our community deal with subjects like reproductive rights, eco-feminism, gender equality, and sex-positive feminism! Volunteers work on research, writing, database and site updates.
- Video Editing: We create and edit many educational and instructional videos for our web projects. If you are proficient with video editing let us know!
- Tech Volunteer. Advanced WordPress, Social Media or SEO experience required.
- Self Publishing. Are you a writer who has already self-published? You can use your experience to help us with our book projects!
Wishing you much aloha in Portland!