After the destruction of Hedonisia Hawaii by the 2018 Kilauea volcano, Mojo the Community Director, moved to an apartment in Portland OR.
A community does not have to be on land like Hedonisia Hawaii. A micro-community can be as small as 2 people living together in an apartment in the city!
As you can see from our Pre-Volcano Archive of Hedonisia Hawaii, those who were attracted to our community projects tended to also share many of our ideals. They were wonderful to live with!
At our Portland apartment we tend to attract roommates who support or wish to volunteer on the ecofeminist web projects we are working. Roommates having shared interests creates a simple apartment-based ‘micro-community’.
Even if they don’t end up working on our websites, we have stuff to chat about! This is much nicer than living with a complete stranger!
As with many cities in the world, it is very expensive to buy housing or land in Portland. So, our Portland micro-community model is based on rental housing.
If you plan to visit or live in Portland you can volunteer for reduced rent as a ‘micro-community roommate’ or enjoy a private one bedroom rental at very affordable rates.
Portland Apartment Features
- Across the street from Mt Tabor Park which has lovely hiking trails.
- Apartment complex is walking distance to a number of restaurants
- One direct bus to downtown! We rent one of the two bedrooms.
- You have access to a beautiful apartment swimming pool. Refreshing in the summer!
- We provide dishes and furnishings.
- There is no TV. However, you are free to bring your own!
- Sorry no pets. It is against the Apartment Rules!
- Living room is spacious with a beautiful exposed brick wall! Perfect for yoga!
- Month to month rental with a minimum of 3 months
Portland Micro-Community: Volunteer for Rent Reduction!
Roommates can enjoy a discount rent in exchange for volunteer support of work on the websites in our EcoFeminist Web Portfolio. Applicants with writing, research or tech skills who would like to volunteer on any of our web projects, can do so in exchange for a reduction in rent!
For skilled volunteer work, we lower the rent by $20 per hour, to a maximum of $100 rent reduction per month! If you are especially skilled, we can offer more hours for a greater reduction in rent!
The volunteer program is optional. If you are too busy you can also simply pay the rent!
Here are some of the projects you can choose to work on:
- Hedonisia Eco-Feminist Web Portfolio: These activist and feminist entrepreneur sites managed by our community deal with subjects like reproductive rights, eco-feminism, gender equality, and sex-positive feminism! Volunteers work on research, writing, database and site updates.
- Video Editing: We create and edit many educational and instructional videos for our web projects. If you are proficient with video editing let us know!
- Tech Volunteer. Advanced WordPress, Social Media or SEO experience required.
- Self Publishing Experience. Are you a writer who has already self-published? You can use your experience to help us with our book projects!
Portland Apartment Rental Options
We offer 3 rental & volunteer possibilities:
1. Private Roommate:
This is a private room furnished with a queen mattress bed! It does face Division St so there is some muted traffic noise.
The room has a large closet, a desk and chair. f course you have access to the rest of the apartment.
Single occupancy rates:
- $50 Flat Rate for WIFI & Utilities.
- $600 for first-month rent,
- Security Deposit – $600.
Under the right circumstances we can accept a couple or two friends who can share the same bed.
- $75 Flat Rate for WIFI & Utilities.
- $700 for first-month rent,
- Security Deposit – $700.
2. Mojo Room
I rent out my room while I’m traveling. It is a beautiful room with a queen bed and an exposed brick wall. I store all my personal belongings in a pop-up tent which is set up in the living room. So you have a private room!
- $550 per month.
- $50 per month utility fee
- Security Deposit – $600
Every year I have to travel to two different locations:
- Hawaii. I go back every year to continue our post-volcano rebuilding plans. I already have a rental for my Hawaii trip ending March 2020. I am seeking a rental for my next trip starting Nov 14, 2020 to March 14, 2021.
- Europe. I travel to take care of my dad in England and visit my daughter in Germany. I am seeking a short-term guest from June 1 to July 7, 2020. For this 5-week rental the price is $750. This breaks down to $550 rent for one month + $50 for one month utilities. The fifth week is at a flat rate of $150 per week. (Subject to change due to Coronavirus).
Overlap periods: Depending on your timetable there may be some overlap where we would have to share the space. We can install a pop-up tent single bed in there for $450 for the month which can also be pro-rated. Price includes utilities and WIFI.
3. One-bedroom Apartment Rental
This option is only available when I am traveling and if I don’t have any roommates.
The next possible date when this is possible is Nov 14, 2020. If you want to move in before, we would have to share until then.
I lock my bedroom and so the apartment becomes a spacious 1-bedroom that is suitable for singles or couples.
- Refundable Security Deposit – $1000
- 1st Month Rent = $1015
- $100 Flat Rate for Utilities: Electricity, Water, Basic Cable, Wifi.
Applicant Requirements to Rent Room
This is still a ‘normal’ rental in a traditional apartment complex. So regular apartment rules still apply!
Here are the steps you need to take to rent your room:
- Call for telephone Interview & to visit apartment. 808-269-2825
- Go to Tabor West Management Office to receive Application Form and Screening Criteria.
- Pay $55 per person Background & Credit Check Fee.
- Complete Rental Application Form and deliver to the office.
- If approved, a Security Deposit of one month rent is required to confirm date of arrival.
- Upon receipt of security deposit and first month payment, you receive the key.
- You are now ready to move in on the date agreed!
Please note there is a cancelation fee if you decide not to stay. It is 25% of your Security Deposit if cancelling more than two weeks before arrival date. This increases to 50% if within two weeks of your arrival date.
We charge a fee because once we have confirmed a reservation we start making travel plans. So it is very disruptive when a potential roommate cancels at the last moment!
Wishing you much aloha in Portland!