A community does not have to be on land like Hedonisia Hawaii. As with many of the of the great cities in the world, it is very expensive to buy housing or land in Portland. So, our urban micro-community model is based on rental housing.
If you plan to visit or live in Portland you can volunteer for reduced rent as a ‘micro-community roommate’ or enjoy a private one bedroom rental at very affordable rates.
We wanted to demonstrate that a micro-community can be as small as 2 people living together in an apartment in the city!
The room is currently available from June 2, 2019!
Portland Micro-Community Rental!
Community Director Mojo has a 2-bedroom apartment located in SE Portland.
Applicants wanting to stay in Portland can enjoy a discount rent in exchange for volunteer support of work on the websites in our EcoFeminist Web Portfolio.
These rental options are based on a 3-month minimum stay.
Apartment Features & Rental Requrements
- Across the street from Mt Tabor Park which has lovely hiking trails.
- Apartment complex is walking distance to a number of restaurants
- One direct bus to downtown! We rent one of the two bedrooms.
- The room is furnished with a queen mattress bed!
- You have access to a beautiful apartment swimming pool. Refreshing in the summer!
- We provide dishes and furnishings.
- There is no TV. However, you are free to bring your own!
- Sorry no pets. It is against the Apartment Rules!
- Living room is spacious with a beautiful exposed brick wall! Perfect for yoga!
Portland Apartment Rental Options
We call our apartment a ‘micro-community’ to attract applicants who wish to volunteer on the ecofeminist web projects we are working on.
However, this is still a ‘normal’ rental in a traditional apartment complex. So regular Apartment Rental Screening Criteria still apply!
We are offering two rental options.
At Hedonisia Hawaii, those who were attracted to our community projects often shared many of our ideals. They were wonderful to live with!
It is the same with our Portland apartment! When we live with like-minded roommates, we are in a sense, creating an apartment based ‘micro-community’!
- Rentals can be for 3 – 12 months.
- $50 Flat Rate INCLUDES WIFI & Utilities.
- $600 for first-month rent,
- Damage Deposit – $600.
2) 1-bedroom Apartment Rental!
Private Short-Term Single or Couples’ Rate. This is ideal for those who do not want a long-term lease or don’t have much furniture. However, this rental is only for specific periods when Mojo is traveling.
I lock my bedroom and so the apartment becomes a spacious 1-bedroom!
- Refundable Damage Deposit – $975
- 1st Month Rent = $975
- $100 Flat Rate for Utilities: Electricity, Water, Basic Cable, Wifi.
My travel schedule is:
- Sept 1 – 30, 2019 – I’m travelling in Europe
- December 6, 2019 to March 6, 2020 – I’m traveling to Hawaii
Overlap periods: Depending on your timetable there may be some overlap where we would have to share the space.
Applicants for either the Roommate or the 1-Bedroom Private Options are required to provide the following:
- Telephone Interview & visit
- $55 Background check fee per person
- Complete Application form with 5-year Rental History & Employment History
Volunteer for Rent Reduction!
Applicants with writing, research or tech skills who are interested in volunteer work on any of our web projects can do so in exchange for a reduction in rent!
If you work on any of our web projects, we lower the rent by $20 per hour up to a maximum of $100 rent reduction per month! However, if you are especially skilled, we can offer more hours for a greater reduction in rent!
If you choose to be apply for the Volunteer Rent Reduction program, there is an additional Micro-Community Rental Agreement.
The volunteer program is optional. If you are too busy you can also simply pay the rent!
Here are some of the projects you can choose to work on in Portland:
- Hedonisia Eco-Feminist Web Portfolio: These activist and feminist entrepreneur sites managed by our community deal with subjects like reproductive rights, eco-feminism, gender equality, and sex-positive feminism! Volunteers work on research, writing, database and site updates.
- Video Editing: We create and edit many educational and instructional videos for our web projects. If you are proficient with video editing let us know!
- Tech Volunteer. Advanced WordPress, Social Media or SEO experience required.
- Self Publishing. Are you a writer who has already self-published? You can use your experience to help us with our book projects!
Wishing you much aloha in Portland!