Location: Mulberry Hill to the Second Terrace (Under Kahuna Cabin)
Lodgings and/or Facilities in areas of Garden:
This MIXED Garden has the following plants:
Maintenance Activities For This Garden:
- Main Weeds: Cane Grass, Koster's Curse, Stink Maile, climbing and choking vines
- Eradicate cane grass as close to the base as possible using a Kama and pickaxe out if accessible
- Cut climbing/choking vines at the base of the vine to kill. Remove off plants carefully.
- Identification and Labeling:
- Tag and label transplanted trees with bright color tree ribbon,
- Date the tree with date it was transplanted (only babies so we can see the growth process)
- Update plant pages if any are added or deleted from the garden.
- Borders & Maintenance:
- Replace cane grass below Kahuna Cabin with Guava, Ginger, and Vetiver Grass
- Improve slope steps and make safer - plant Guava on both sides of steps
- Prune unreachable branches, and those that overshadow the Suriname Cherry, to use as transplants to thicken the Mulberry patch
- Harvesting fruit in season regularly promotes budding and growth.
- Encourage guests/Volunteers to grab food from these areas also to harvest to eat
- If the trees are getting too tall to harvest, check with the director first about topping a tree or if you have any ideas for new edibles to plant in the terraces