- Compost Garden & Worm Bins
- Shower wall area & Compost pen to the Right of Shower facilities
Lodgings and/or Facilities in areas of Garden:
This MIXED Garden has the following plants:
Maintenance Activities For This Garden:
- Main Weeds: Cane Grass, choking and climbing weeds
- Eradicate cane grass as close to the base as possible using a Kama and pickax out if accessible
- Use a Kama to cut the climbers and the chokers at the base of the fence line or plant base to kill them. Remove off plant carefully.
- Identification and Labeling:
- Tag and label transplanted trees with bright color tree ribbon,
- Date the tree with date it was transplanted (only babies so we can see the growth process)
- Update plant pages if any are added or deleted from the garden.
- Borders & Maintenance:
- Keeping the wood and fence borders free of weeds and mosses, and can be done weekly for about 15 minutes during a shift.
- Use weed whacker to trim grasses around the outside border of the whole garden
- Keep the area around the Starfruit clear for maximum sun. They are fragile and susceptible to damage, so keep an eye on them when in season.
- Keep the Hawaiian Bird Pepper plant in shaded areas, too much sun will kill them.
- Edible Hibiscus and Red Hibiscus need topping every 3 months to keep from growing too high. Propagate the cuttings into a new garden area and update that garden's page with the new plant.
- Keep the bush by the shower trimmed back, but keep thicker for shower privacy
- Rake bike area regularly
- Check tarp over bikes for water pockets to keep dry
- Rake leaves and use as mulch under trees, and in Worm Bin (See worm bin instructions below)
- Compost Bin Maintenance:
- View Community Compost Maintenance page for proper procedures.
- Harvesting the Starfruit and Ice Cream Bean when in season regularly promotes budding and growth lower to the ground.
- Some trees need a topping or a successful harvest is impossible. Check with the director first about topping a tree or if you have any ideas for new plants in this area.
- Check with the director if you have any ideas for new edibles to plant in the terraces