- Outer edge of Crater & Berm path from Smoking Temple past Cottage to edge bordering Hinalo street
Lodgings and/or Facilities in areas of Garden:
This Decorative Garden has the following plants:
- Avocado (1)
- Aloe Vera
- 2 Coconut Trees
- Ti Trees
- Mexican Sunflowers
- Coral Berry
- Laua’e Fern
- ‘ama’u Tree Fern
- Varietal Gingers
Maintenance Activities For This Garden:
- Main Weeds: Cane Grass
- Eradicate cane grass as close to the base as possible using Kama and pickax out if accessible
- Dump weeds onto berm on the side of Jungle Cottage to build a safe slope at 45° angle.
- Identification and Labeling:
- Tag and label transplanted trees with bright color tree ribbon,
- Label the tree with transplant date (only babies so we can see the growth process)
- Update plant pages if any are added or deleted from the garden.
- Borders & Maintenance:
- “Civilize” Berm (side path) trail – fill walking gaps and spaces with base of black rock and finish layer of red cinder
- Keeping the borders free of weeds and mosses is easy and can be done weekly during Spring/Summer, bi-weekly Fall/Winter 15 minutes during a shift.
- Hand weed around each tree/large plant
- Use weed whacker to trim grasses where needed, making sure NOT to hit the plants or trees.
- Fine hand weeding in the rest of the garden using the Kama to remove choking weeds and climbers
- Add soil to smaller plants, trim and mulch tree bases as in propagation section above.
- We also collect wood shavings from projects to use as a decorative mulch in non-food beds. Guava inhibits plant and weed growth, so use in decorative areas only.
- If you have processed compost, mix in equal amounts with soil for feeding.
- Harvesting regularly promotes budding and growth low to the ground. Keep an eye out to see if it’s needed weekly or bi-weekly (fruiting trees as Avocado)
- Pick up Coconuts that have fallen and take them to outdoor eating area
- Some trees need topping or harvesting is impossible, and food will be damaged and unusable.
- Check with the director first about topping a tree, or if you have any ideas for new red plants in this area.