All of our Jungle Gardens are Now Resting Under Lava
As we try to rebuild, we will always remember our past.
Many of the links still work but many are broken as our land felt after the flow. Feel free to visit all the pages and videos which work. Remember that everything you see was destroyed on May 26, 2018 when the lava took our property.
Eventually we will take photos that approximate the previous location of these gardens. We had mapped out all the plants on the property. Unfortunately those links don't work. We still have the data and are working to fix all broken archival links.
In our 14-year history, the Hedonisia community developed a number of websites, books, and eCourses that show how to make a living in our EcoFeminist Entrepreneur Web Portfolio..
With our approach to community living based on ecotourism and ecofeminism, we attracted wonderful people from around the world. We plan to start rebuilding in December 2021.
Rebirth Hedonisia Hawaii Crowdfund
Support us in our effort to return to our land.
Agritourism: Loving the land!
Hedonisia's property consists of 4 acres of lush eco-community jungle gardens. We created a garden system of gardens that are maintained by interns, fair-trade volunteers, and weekly or monthly guests. The jungle grows fast, and our biggest job is simply to keep the gardens from being overgrown!
Our farming model is to mimic Mother Nature. We find the plants that like to grow in our volcanic rainforest environment so much that they will grow like a weed with minimal maintenance! It allows us to grow many edibles on the property without the need for energy-intensive labor as with traditional farming.
As part of our agricultural tourism program, we have devised a unique classification system by dividing our property into 26 'gardens' of edible or decorative plants. This gives us a very efficient way to utilize eco-tourist volunteer labor as well as offering an intuitive way for Guests to easily find and harvest edible plants and fruits on the property.
Hedonisia Jungle Community Gardens!
- A: Hinalo St. Border
- B: Crater Edge and Berm
- C: Jungle Cottage Front Garden
- D: Sides of Cottage & Barn
- E: Driveway Side Border
- F: Recycling Zone, Kitchen Drainage & Smoking Temple
- G: Bathroom & Shower Edge
- H: Bamboo Hut to Parking Lot
- I: Compost Gardens
- J: Kava & Pineapple Gardens
- K: Upper Cliff Area From Kitchen Garden to Ocean view; upper cliff side Kahuna Cabin
- L: Ocean View Garden Front, left and behind Ocean View
- M: Salad Zone Along lower cliff below Bamboo Hut; to 3-level terrace
- N: Healing Terrace: Three-Tier Terrace Between Salad Zone and Mulberry Hill
- O: Mulberry Hill to the Second Terrace (Under Kahuna Cabin)
- P: Second Terrace to End of Soil Quarry
- Q: Vehicle Road to Hideaway Camp; in front of Soil Quarry to Cane Truck
- R: Cane Truck Bed in front of Hideaway Camp
- S: Lower level behind and beyond Hideaway Camp; to back border w/ neighbor John's property line (Coconut Treeline)
- T: Triangular Garden between Hideaway Camp, Lono Hale and Back Neighbor Border
- U: Loader Garden to Guava Hut In front of Back Border; includes fire pit
- V: Back Border w/ neighbor John from behind Hideaway Camp to the Love Bus; land begins 18 inches from John’s palms
- W: Triangle Garden Area between Guava Hut, Love Bus, and Ohia Camper; to left of Ohia Camper/Decorative bed between Ohia camper and Guava Hut
- X: Trail leading to Lava Tube and Ocean View and Ocean Facing slope above Hideaway Camp
- Y: From crater slope at road to trail entrance between Jungle Cottage and Barn
- Z: Our Volcanic Crater
Tropical Fruit Trees on Property:
We are more of a tree farming community. With eco-tourists who only stay for a short time, we simply don't have the continual labor to do 'normal' farming. Trees need a lot of attention in the beginning but once they start growing up they do their thing. A perfect symbol for a 'community of individuals'!
- Avocado - Garden N, V
- Brazilian Plum - Garden P
- Breadfruit - Garden P, S, Z
- Eggfruit - Garden K, S
- Jaboticaba - Garden S, M
- Lemon - Garden P, S, V
- Longan - Garden P
- Loquat - Garden M
- Lychee - Garden Z
- Mango - Garden N, V
- Mountain Apple - Garden K, V, Z
- Papaya - Garden V
- Rambutan - Garden Z
- Rollinia - Garden P
- Soursop - Garden I
- Starfruit - Garden A, I, R
- Surinam Cherry - Garden D, K