Activist Entrepreneur Principles
An Activist Entrepreneur embodies principles of community, activism, feminism, and/or environmentalism as part of their business plan to create a product or service that, in a concrete way, improves society or the world we live in.
- Community: Hedonisia Hawaii is a community-based business that does not have employees. Our social entrepreneur business model attracts like-minded people creating a free-floating community of volunteers and interns who come to Hawaii and contribute to our eco-tourism and ecofeminist projects and that we manage in our ‘community of individuals’!
- Activist: An activist entrepreneur works to change the law as part of their business activities. They can do so through lobbying or other forms of political engagement. However, they can also be political by creating products or services that challenge unjust laws. As Hedonisia, we are active in working through the local political system to create a legal foundation for sustainable communities in Hawaii and a precedent for others to do the same elsewhere. One of the creative projects we manage is Activist Entrepreneur: Using business as a tool for social change.
- Feminist: It is a truism that women are often more unfairly treated than men in the vast majority of companies. So an Activist Entrepreneur feminist principles as a core part of their operations. At the Hedonisia Community, we implemented policies and practices incorporating social justice, equality for women through our community business operations as described in our Eco-Feminist Community page.
- Environmental: An Activist Enterprise should try to reduce, reuse and recycle at every level it of its business practices. Not only is it good for the planet but it is also good for the bottom line! Our community derived most of it income through eco-tourism and we adopt environmental principles at every stage of our business operations.
- EcoSexual: So many societal problems stem from some aspect of sexual dysfunction. We take an EcoFeminist approach to sexuality with our emphasis on gender equality and by being a Consent Culture community.